Posted by Neil Crosby on January 3, 2005 01:53 PM
I know I’m a little late with doing the roundup of 2004, but bear with me. 2004 was the first year of workingwith.me.uk’s existence, and it’s been a pretty good one.
- The site didn’t exist yet, but I knew that I was wanting to create something that would be helpful to people who were learning about the same sorts of things as me. I didn’t want a site that was going to be duplicating everything that was already out there. Instead, I wanted something that would help people with the stuff that I found it difficult to find out about.
- I bought the domain name. There were many others which fell by the wayside, including “stuffwithin.me.uk”. I also bought “404error.me.uk” in a fit of domain buying madness. I still haven’t done anything with it.
- This month was pretty much just developing the original look of the site.
- The first article for the site was released - “Serving the Correct Mime Type with PHP”. This was easily the second most viewed page on the website for the year, after the homepage
- “Serving the Correct Mime Type with PHP” was released. This article never did as well as I’d hoped, but the search term “mod_rewrite example” now gives this as the number one result on google, and its views are steadily increasing.
- Started blogging properly. Most of the time spent on the site this month was learning how to embed entries nicely from LiveJournal. I’m currently relearning this so that I can use the XML-RPC interface as intended, rather than slurping s2 created pages from LiveJournal. This month, I also released the “Which HTML Tag am I?” meme. This meme got taken about 1000 times in 4 days, which was frankly amazing considering that I’d only posted one link to it in one place! I really was amazed by the power of propagation on the internet - I’d never seen things move so fast for something that I’d created.
- I discovered del.icio.us, and have been waxing lyrical on here ever since.
- A very quiet month. The lack of updates caused a downturn in the number of visitors to the site. I learned my lesson.
- Made some cosmetic changes to the site, including the style changer. I still intend to write a small article about that.
- A lot of changes this month. I made the resolution that I would update the blog at least every three days. The RSS feed was introduced for the blog, as well as making blog archives available. The article describing How to write a Quiz-like Meme was finally written.
- November was the month of the iTunes update. Given that I was needing to work out how to get Java communicating with iTunes under Windows, and no-one else had published anything on the web about this, I thought that I’d better do the job. Seems like a good thing that I did too - I’ve been contacted a few times now by people just wanting to say Thankyou for making the knowledge available.
- Released a full article about “Using the iTunes COM Interface with Java and Swing”. Also started blogging about more computer related things outside of workingwith.me.uk.
Now, to keep going as I started last year, and make workingwith.me.uk even more useful and relevant!
TrackBack URL for this entry: http://www.workingwith.me.uk/cgi-bin/type/mt-tb.cgi/666